Banner

Wednesday 3 August 2016

What to do when you lose your wedding ring...

I lost my wedding ring last week.  I was swimming in the sea at Durdle Door in Dorset, where the undertow was strong, the water chilly and the pebbles unforgiving on the feet.  In between checking that the kids were okay in the breakers, swimming, and trying to find the dog's ball for her (floating just beneath the surface), I felt the change and looked down at my hand.  Cold, weight loss (mine) and moving water had combined, and the ring had just slipped off my finger.  I had to stop wearing my engagement ring a year and a half ago when the diamond went missing from it's setting - so now my left hand is naked.

So what do you do when you lose your wedding ring?


  1. Look for it - Search the area.  If you are indoors, search methodically EVERYWHERE.  These rings can roll and can travel a lot further than you could imagine.  If possible, enlist help, the more people looking the better.  In fact I've lost a wedding ring before, and had about fifty people combing the activity field at a Scout Campsite - but we did find it!  In this case, I dived under the waves numerous times, scanning the gravelly pebbles on the sea-bed for a glint of gold.  On a sandy beach you could mark the spot and come back with a metal detector.
  2. Reassure your 7 year old son that despite not wearing your wedding ring, you are in fact still married to daddy.  Check with husband that this is definitely the case.  Reassure yourself of same.
  3. Give up - At some point you need to leave the beach and go home.  Accept that the ring is gone.
  4. Hope - You can still post a plea to social media, tagging the location where you lost it and making your post public.  If somebody does come across a gold ring at Durdle Door, they may just scan through the Durdle Door posts to see if anybody has lost one... and they may just find my post... and ...
  5. Hint - maybe at some point in the future, maybe an anniversary of some type, we can replace the ring... both rings even...and re-pledge our love and all that.  He's still putting up with me eight years on, despite me being me... and losing one diamond and one ring, so I reckon he still loves me.
Have you lost something very precious to you?  What did you do?

1 comment:

  1. Rich lost his wedding ring a few years ago. I didn't want to replace it, but I did still want him to have a symbol of our love and fidelity (I still remember our vows!). So I had a ring made with the birthstones of him, me and the children. We've since added a new stone for Ossie. http://www.seasidebelle.com/2014/07/10th-wedding-anniversary-gifts-and-how.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete